Heroes of the Storm/Heroes of the Storm State of the Game Panel Recap
From BlizzCon Wiki
November 4: Heroes of the Storm State of the Game Panel Recap[edit | edit source]
The Past Year[edit | edit source]
- Big props to the community for pushing bans in ranked play. It's made the game better.
- Fourteen new heroes have been added in the past year starting with Cho'gall after last year's BlizzCon.
- The ARAM custom game map was made in a couple of weeks due to community inspiration.
- 2015 saw balance updates every 4-6 weeks. Through feedback for 2016, they got this down to every week and then following more feedback, every 2-4 weeks.
- 2016 saw nineteen hero / talent reworks.
- Over 4 million USD in prizing for the past year's Heroes esports.
- Over 1000 tournament matches were played globally in the past year.
- Ranked & The 2016 Ranked Update
- Before the ranked update:
- 59% players in Quick Match; 22% VS AI; 19% Ranked
- After the ranked update:
- 46% players in Quick Match; 30% Ranked; 16% VS AI; 8% Unranked
- The team didn't have tools to better keep everyone is their right skill area. There were too many people at "Rank 1".
- They changed Grand Master to 200 players to keep it more exclusive.
- They're going to redistribute some of the rankings
- Majority of players should be in Silver and Gold, but Silver has too many players right now, more will go to Gold.
- Diamond is too over-represented. They want it more exclusive.
- Future Season Test: Hero League is going to become solo queue only. This is to showcase personal skill.
- Future Season Test: Team League will be for 2s, 3s, 5s queues. This is to showcase coordinate team skill.
- They're hoping to get higher team league engagement which will add significance to ratings in team league.
Matchmaking[edit | edit source]
- The old matchmaking system was not good.
- The matchmaker was rewritten earlier this year and it was positively received.
- Matchmaking fixes can be made without client patches due to it being server-side.
- When hero levels became considered by matchmaking, win-rates normalized.
- Queue times increased in Quickmatch by 50% and Hero League by 200% when they increased matchmaking quality.
- The team still thinks match quality is the most important thing, but they do want you to also get into games quickly.
- They will continue to try reducing the queue times while keeping match quality up.
In Development[edit | edit source]
Personalized Stats[edit | edit source]
- Players want more insight into how well they're doing in a match.
- This will compare your historical stats, and stats of other people in the region.
- At the end of game, the system will let you know when you're doing better than your previous records and region averages.
- Haunted Mines is returning!
- Golems spawn in alternating lanes.
- Golems will spawn fixed distances from the core rather than at their death spot.
- The Mine layout is different. Four new entrances.
- Skulls in the mines are more evenly distributed.
- The mine boss is in the center.
- Looking to release it back into the game this year.
Progression[edit | edit source]
- No more progression caps on Hero Levels or Account Levels. There will still be a cap, but it should be very hard to reach.
- Hero Levels should take 3-4 hours to obtain instead of the current 10+ (at levels past 10).
- Account Level is now going to be a sum of all your hero levels.
- More frequent rewards! Each time you get a level, you get a reward.
- More rewards than just gold - Skins, Mounts, More!
- Hero Swaps in Draft
- They agree, it needs to be done.
- This will show up in Custom Games before the main game.
Battleground Rotations[edit | edit source]
- Positive reactions to smaller pools during events.
- Six or seven maps in the pool at any given moment.
- Unranked will still have the full map pool.
Voice Chat[edit | edit source]
- Blizzard Voice Chat is going to be integrated into the game.
Party Finder[edit | edit source]
- More intelligent. Queue up to find people.
Clans[edit | edit source]
- Login, be social.
- Clan ranks, advancement, tournaments. Future possibilities!
- Blackheart's Revenge Brawl
- Attack / Defend Layout
- The map is asymmetrical which is unusual.
Q&A[edit | edit source]
- Adding PvE Content like Overwatch's Junkenstein Brawl is something they'd love to do and are exciting to do it. No ETA on when it will happen though.
- Tournament draft will be in custom games first and then added to the main game.
- They are exploring ways to remake games when people leave at the start.
- More ways to spend gold are currently being investigated, but nothing is concrete yet.
- They don't want to replace HotSLogs but they do want more stats in-game.
- Loss Forgiveness when players leave is in the works.
- Murky updates are being talked about. All the older heroes will be touched at some point.